Shortly after ArenaNet announced that they are halting all active development on Guild Wars 1, in favor of developing solely for Guild Wars 2, some information came in about the second content update for this month (May). Roughly two weeks ago NCSOFT and ArenaNet unleashed The Secret of Southsun and soon you can get your grubby little mitts on the Last Stand at Southsun.
In the newest extension of the Living Story, the culprit behind the recent wildlife attacks on Southsun Cove has been revealed as the Sylvari renegade, Canach. In a confused attempt to free the new settlers from The Consortium, Canach has turned the creatures of the island into tools of destruction. As part of the release, players can join Inspector Kiel of the Lionguard once again, this time to quell Canach’s plot before the shores of Southsun Cove run red with blood.
The content update also includes:
- New Improved World XP – The award system for World XP in World vs World now allows players to gain rewards for a much wider range of activities including destroying siege weapons, repairing walls, escort missions, etc.
- Greater Variety and more Rewards in WvW – Now you can earn World XP with daily WvW achievements and each time you gain a new World rank you will get a bonus chest with WvW loot.
- New WvW Abilities and Matchup Changes – New abilities like Burning Oil Masters and new ranks in Defense against guards. There are new opponents in WvW matches for great challenges as well.
- Custom PvP Arenas and Spectator Mode Beta – ArenaNet has fixed several bugs these features and now you can extend the time of your favorite custom arena with time tokens in the gem store.
- Infusions and Ascended Gear in WvW – You can now purchase Ascended rings and amulets as well as upgrade WvW abilities with six new Infusions that give you access to special WvW bonuses. (Talk to Laurel and Badge Merchants on each map).
- New Southsun Cove Rewards – You can now get your very own Mini Reef Rider (a loyal floating friend) available until June 11. You can also earn new (rare) limited-edition rewards from creatures and chests in Southsun Cove as well as by playing Crab Toss.
- Exclusive Southsun Items – If you help keep the peace during the Secret of Southsun you can earn two exclusive back items. The floral Fervid Censer and the writhing Sclerite Karka Shell.
Look for Guild Wars 2 The Last Stand at Southsun May 28th.