Indie twin-stick shooter Helldivers has received its first big content drop in the form of patch 2.0, an expansion called Turning Up The Heat. This free content pack includes one new enemy for each of the three alien races and other highlights such as a brand new planet type and three new objectives.
Here’s the full list of features from the free update:
- Increased rank cap from 25 to 27.
- 6 new trophies.
- New environment: Volcanic planets, full of dangers.
- New Bug type: The Bug Impaler
- New Cyborg enemy: The Cyborg Hound
- New Illuminate enemy: The Illuminate Obelisk
- Three new objective types: Repair and Fire Artillery, Disarm Unexploded Ordnance, and Geological Survey.
- New customization outfit: The Volcanic Camouflage set.
- New perk: Strong Arm, allowing you to throw further.
Volcanic planets expand on Helldivers’ environmental gameplay with lava flows and heat vents that, like most things in the game, can kill you very easily. Before update 2.0, adverse environmental effects like snow and water affected movement speed, but weren’t lethal on their own.
The Illuminate get the Obelisk, a stationary enemy that can project energy barriers to isolate your team and cut off retreat routes. The Cyborg Hound is a fast, light infantry unit that uses swarm tactics. Finally, the Bug Impaler is large tank-like foe with a long-range tentacle attack. Previously, the Bugs didn’t have any threats outside of melee range.
Update 2.0 is launching alongside the second Reinforcements Pack, Arrow Head’s paid DLC (pictured above). This pack is the bundling of three new equipment packs: the Demolitionist, the Pilot, and Hazard Ops. There are four new equipment packs altogether, and they retail for $2.99 each. Get those first three bundled together for $5.99.
Helldivers is currently available for the Playstation 3, Playstation 4, and PS Vita. Read New Gamer Nation’s review of Helldivers here.