Did you ever want to be in the video game industry and make your own games, but just didn’t know where to start? CD Projeckt RED has announced the launch of REDkit which contains a set of tools specifically for crafting non-linear RPGs to help make those dreams become a reality and best of all, it’s free.
For CD Projekt RED, RPGs are all about telling amazing stories. We want to give players the power to tell the same kind of non-linear, branching stories that made The Witcher games so popular. Our fans have helped us for years to make our games the best they can be, and REDkit is part of embracing our community as a partner in game development.
– Adam Badowski, head of CD Projekt RED
REDkit is based on the very same development tools that were used to create Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings and the editor has just entered open beta. Are you excited for Witcher 3 and want to go back and make your own new content in Witcher 2? Go for it! Whether you are new to the modding game or a seasoned pro, you will be making non-linear tales with branching plot-lines, new characters, benefits and consequences for player’s actions in no time without ever learning to program.
The full list of features of REDkit are as follows:
- Intuitive tools developed for all would-be storytellers and game designers
- Complex and user-friendly terrain tools, including the SpeedTree foliage system
- Utilize the astonishing graphics and visuals that power The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
- Create a realistic and dynamic day and night cycle in a few clicks
- Implement non-linear stories and quests with a unique quest system that allows player decisions to impact the game world and plot
- Build believable characters, NPCs, and entire communities and set their interactions with the player
- Place dialogue cameras automatically or manually to create a filmlike experience
If you want to take a closer look at REDkit, head on over to http://thewitcher.com/redkit and by all means share the content you create with us.